A Delicious and Simple Vegan Banana Bread Recipe
Written by Ruxandra Voiculet
During these times I had more time to cook and experiment in the kitchen than usual. As banana bread is one of my boyfriend’s preferred desserts I do it pretty often, so I was tempted to try new things each time when I did it. . Below you can find a vegan, lower in fat banana bread.
Prepare Time: 15 min | Cooking Time: 1 h
- 1 ¾ cups spelt flour / whole wheat flour
- a pinch of Himalaya salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 6 tbsps water
- 3 medium or 2 large ripe bananas – the darker outside the sweeter inside
- ¼ cup rice or quinoa milk ( any kind of milk is good, I prefer rice or quinoa as they are sweeter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips /chopped chocolate
- ½ tsp cocoa to swirl on top
How to prepare it
- Mix the chia seeds with water in a small bowl and let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes until the mixture becomes like a pudding.
- Preheat the oven.
- In a bowl sift together the flour with the baking soda, cinnamon and salt. The bread gets fluffier if you sieve the flour before.
- In a second bowl mix the applesauce with the maple syrup. Add the chia seeds and beat all together. Add the mashed bananas, together with the milk and vanilla extract.
- Add gradually the flour mixed with baking soda, cinnamon and salt and stir it with a spoon until the batter is smooth.
- Finally add the chocolate chips or the chopped chocolate
- Pour the whole mixture in a greased or covered with baking paper loaf pan. Sprinkle the cocoa on top of it.
- Bake the bread for around 1 hour; the toothpick needs to get out clean. Don’t open the oven door for the first 15 minutes, or the bread might collapse.
- When it is ready take it out and let it cool completely before serving it.
Of course you can replace the chocolate chips with walnuts, dried fruits, banana slices or whatever you feel like it.